Each Fitness Leader (Fitness Theory, Group Fitness, Aquatic Fitness, Yoga Fitness, Pilates Fitness and Weight Training) that obtains BCRPA Registration automatically receives $2 million in Commercial General Liability insurance coverage through HUB International TOS Limited.
This program ensures that you have adequate insurance coverage as long as you are:
The package complements existing coverage provided by some facilities where you may be working. See the policy below for details.
The BCRPA group insurance program does not cover your work as a Personal Trainer. However, a comprehensive package is available at a reduced premium for BCRPA Registered Personal Trainers.
Personal Trainers can choose from one of the following:
- $1 million liability is $140/year (includes a $35 admin fee)
- $2 million liability is $165/year (includes a $35 admin fee)
- $5 million liability is $195/year (includes a $35 admin fee)
Commercial General Liability:
- Limits of $1,000,000, $2,000,000 and $5,000,000 are available for purchase online
- Deductible: $0.00 Bodily Injury/Property Damage
- Injury to participants (no Professional Liability Exclusion for bodily injury losses only)
- Personal Injury: limit matches General Liability (ie., $1M, $2M or $5M)
- Advertising Injury: limit matches General Liability (ie., $1M, $2M or $5M)
- Tenants Legal Liability: $250,000
- Medical Payments: $2,500 per person
- Products/Completed Operations
- Employer's LiabilityCross Liability/Severability of Insured's
- Incidental Medical Malpractice
- Occurrence Property Damage
- Blanket Contractual - provides coverage when you enter into an insured contract
- Broad Form Property Damage
- Owners and Contractors Protective - covers the insured's liability for bodily injury and property damage caused, in whole or in part, by an independent contractor's work for the insured
- Tanning / Toning beds
- Sanction limitation
- Contagion exclusion
- Infrared sauna
- Hot / Bikram Yoga
- Asbestos (total exclusion)
- Limited fungi and fungal
- Derivatives coverage
Online Training coverage
Personal Trainers are also eligible to purchase additional coverage for online training, which includes pre-recorded content. Please note a disclaimer is required for all non-2-way communication. More information can be found in the Insurance Coverage for Online Training below.
- $1 million liability is $25/year
- $2 million liability is $30/year
- $5 million liability is $40/year
To find out more about the BCRPA insurance program and the Personal Training package, contact:
HUB International TOS Limited Insurance.
For individuals who are in the process of completing their practicum hours towards registration requirements, the BCRPA provides temporary practicum insurance for Group Fitness, Aquatic Fitness, Yoga Fitness, Pilates Fitness, and Weight Training modules.
This is a one year insurance policy that automatically starts when you complete your Fitness Theory registration.
Please Note: You then have one year to complete all practical components of your module, and to submit your ICE Package to BCRPA and become fully registered in this new specialty module.
If you have any questions about your insurance needs, please contact HUB International Insurance at TOS.Team-FitnessLeaders@hubinternational.com or by phoning (604) 269-1919.
Insurance coverage for online fitness training will now be processed through your The Registry® of Fitness Professionals account rather than through HUB International Insurance at cost of $15 for the year. You will find this product in your user account under the "additional online class insurance" tab.
Please ensure you have read the full terms and conditions for this insurance here.
HUB International Insurance, has updated their requirements for providing insurance coverage to any BCRPA Registered Fitness Leader who conducts online training and classes:
- Online training can be pre-recorded and does not need 2-way communication, however a disclaimer is required (see below for further information).
- Online training can be 100% of a Fitness Leader's gross income
- Fitness Leaders are required to repurchase this insurance coverage for 2021, January to December.
This extended coverage can be purchased as an additional product The Registry® of Fitness Professionals website. Please note that coverage for Personal Trainers is provided through HUB International Insurance directly. See Personal Trainers tab above for more information. The restrictions below will apply to Personal Trainers as well.
The extended coverage is subject to a fee of $15 ($10 insurance and $5 admin) and the following restrictions:
- Must be a registered BCRPA Fitness Leader (exemption: Personal Trainers, contact HUB directly for Personal Trainer online coverage)
- Must be providing classes or training within your specialty scope of practice.
- Participants may be new or existing participants.
- Participants must login to the permitted delivery tool, and register to participate in a class.
- Participants must have completed the necessary Par-Q and waiver forms.
- All injuries must be documented.
- Instruction to professional athletes and carded amateur athletes is strictly prohibited.
- Coverage does not extend to work-related rehabilitation of any condition.
- Permitted delivery tools must include the use of controlled, multi-screen video
- Conferencing programs with 2 way video and communication (such as Skype or Zoom)
- If you are using a different 2 way video and communication tool (other than Skype or Zoom) or you have a pre-recorded class, you must display the legal disclaimer before your class commences. This method is only for your registered clients.
- Publicly accessible broadcast tools such as Instagram Live, Facebook Live and YouTube Live are not acceptable methods of delivery for online training. The reason behind this is because these platforms do not allow 2 way video and communication for the fitness leaders to determine if the participants are in distress, or performing exercises in a way that could lead to injury. This coverage is also set up for registered clients only.
By paying the additional fee for the Online Training Coverage, Fitness Leaders or Personal Trainers agree to keep a record of the following:
- Number of online classes per week
- Class content (activities to be conducted)
- Number of participants per class (ensure all participants are currently registered before the start of the session)
- Class is limited to the number of participants that can be viewed on a single screen, with no more than four (4) participants in one location while following Provincial Physical Distancing Guidelines
- Participants must have completed the necessary Par-Q forms and waivers.
- If you are using something other than Skype or Zoom or you have pre-recorded classes you will display the legal disclaimer before the class. These classes are only for your registered clients.
In the event of a claim, the insurance company will request a copy of your record with the above questions.
If Fitness Leaders will be conducting online classes they will need to contact us directly at TOS.Team-FitnessLeaders@hubinternational.com or 604-269-1919 to have an endorsement issued.
The additional premium charged will be $15.00 to offer unlimited online training until December 31, 2021. This is payable to BCRPA through The Registry® of Fitness Professionals website.
If you have further insurance-related questions, please contact HUB directly by email or by calling 604-269-1919.