BCRPA's DB Perks and Associates GRADUATING STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP AWARD
The nomination period is closed.
BCRPA’s Student Scholarship Award Program began in 2001. We thank DB Perks and Associates for their generous support that now funds this program.
The purpose of the scholarship awards is to recognize and support BC students who have excelled in recreation and parks post-secondary programs, who have demonstrated strengths in academics, practicums, class participation, and team work. Award applicants have shown a commitment to leadership that will help advance recreation and parks being embraced as essential to the quality of life of every British Columbian (BCRPA’s vision). The award is for final year students graduating from recreation and parks post-secondary institutions that are BCRPA affiliate members.
Value of the award:
Four awards are available each year. Each award is valued at $2,000 and consists of:
- $1,000 cash,
- free registration to the BCRPA Symposium including the day of the Awards presentation,
- up to $300 travel and accommodation toward Symposium attendance.
Learn more about the student scholarships below.
- Nominating post-secondary institutions must be affiliate members of BCRPA.
- Institutions will nominate their top student in the program, based on the criteria. (Nominations packages must be submitted by the school's department representative - 1 nomination per department)
- Student nominees must be graduating from a recreation or parks degree or diploma program at a BC university or college, and be convocating in 2020.
- Nominees who have been chosen to receive the award must be BCRPA student members at the time the award is granted at the BCRPA Awards Ceremony.
All BC post-secondary educational institution with a current BCRPA Affiliate membership are eligible to nominate one (1) student per graduating year the recreation or parks related academic program they offer, and the student must be currently enrolled in the final year of the program. Students who have completed their studies in Fall of 2019 and convocating in 2020, are also eligible for nomination.
Nominating institutions will promote the award opportunity to eligible students, conduct an internal selection process based upon the selection criteria, and submit no more than one (1) nomination per program. Nomination packages must be submitted to BCRPA by the department representative.
Student nominations will be evaluated on the following broad criteria. The nominated student:
- Exhibits excellence in a recreation or parks program of study as demonstrated in academics, practicum performance and evaluation feedback, class participation, team work, and other criteria deemed important to the program;
- Demonstrates commitment and leadership (academic and in the community) to the recreation and parks field;
- Is actively engaged in recreation (as volunteer and participant- include any past or current aquatics experience: ie: swim team, coaching, lifeguarding, etc.,) and shows promise of future impact on the sector;
- Is in the final year of the program;
- Is chosen by the program leadership as the graduating student who is most representative of the scholarship nomination criteria.
Completed nominations packages must include:
- Nominee’s resume (maximum 1-2 page), demonstrating capabilities as well as work experience and any current/past involvement in recreation (including aquatics), and or parks;
- Cover letter by the student that cites his/her successfully meeting each of the four nomination criteria;
- A well-crafted written work of up to 500 words (two pages) summarizing:
- How the knowledge, skills, and abilities learned in the program contribute to the student’s understanding of and leadership within the recreation and parks field; and
- How the student models these qualities. The essay should highlight critical thinking and understanding of the field, and convey what excites the student about the field.
- One (1) letter of reference from an instructor or program leader supporting the nomination which references their and the institution’s observations on how the student meets the nomination criteria.
Please email all documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Nomination for BCRPA Student Scholarship
- February through March 16 – Call for nominations
- March 16 – Submission deadline
- March 31 – Selection of successful candidates and announcement
Nominations received will be evaluated and ranked by a BCRPA committee based upon the selection criteria. The BCRPA will inform the nominating institution and the successful student awardee of the selection outcomes. Decisions are at the discretion of the BCRPA. BCRPA will offer up to four scholarships every year.
Learn more about the future leaders of our sector!