BCRPA's DB Perks and Associates GRADUATING STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP AWARD
The nominations period is closed for 2019 Student Scholarships
BCRPA’s Student Scholarship Award Program began in 2001. We thank DB Perks and Associates for their generous support that now funds this program.
The purpose of the scholarship awards is to recognize and support BC students who have excelled in recreation and parks post-secondary programs, who have demonstrated strengths in academics, practicums, class participation, and team work. Award applicants have shown a commitment to recreation leadership that will help advance recreation and parks being embraced as essential to the quality of life of every British Columbian (BCRPA’s vision). The award is for graduating students from recreation and parks post-secondary institutions that are BCRPA affiliate members.
Value of the award:
Four awards are available each year. Each award is valued at $2,000 and consists of:
- $1,000 cash,
- free registration to the BCRPA Symposium including the day of the Awards presentation,
- up to $300 travel and accommodation toward Symposium attendance.
Learn more about the student scholarships below.
The nomination period for 2019 has closed.
- Nominating post-secondary institutions must be affiliate members of BCRPA.
- Institutions will nominate their top student in the program, based on the criteria.
- Student nominees must be graduating from a recreation or parks degree or diploma program at a BC university or college.
- Nominees who have been chosen to receive the award must be BCRPA student members at the time the award is granted at the BCRPA Awards Ceremony.
All BC post-secondary educational institution with a current BCRPA Affiliate membership are eligible to nominate one (1) student per year for each related academic program they offer, and the student must be currently enrolled in the final year of the program.
Nominating institutions will promote the award opportunity to eligible students, conduct an internal selection process based upon the selection criteria, and submit no more than one (1) nomination per program.
Student nominations will be evaluated against the following broad criteria. The nominated student:
- Exhibits excellence in a recreation or parks program of study as demonstrated in academics, practicum performance and evaluation feedback, class participation, team work, and other criteria deemed important to the program;
- Demonstrates commitment and leadership (academic and in the community) to the recreation and parks field;
- Is actively engaged in recreation (as volunteer and participant- include any past or current aquatics experience: ie: swim team, coaching, lifeguarding, etc.,) and shows promise of future impact on the sector;
- Is in the final year of the program.
- February 15 through March 15 – Call for nominations - Nomination period is closed.
- March 15 – Submission deadline
- April 1 – Selection of success candidates and announcement
- Awards presented by Doug Perks, DB Perks and Associations, at awards ceremony at BCRPA annual Symposium, happening May 1 to May 3, 2019.
Nominations received will be evaluated and ranked by a BCRPA committee based upon the selection criteria. The BCRPA will inform the nominating institution and the successful student awardee of the selection outcomes. Decisions are at the discretion of the BCRPA. BCRPA reserves the right to not offer some awards every year.
Learn more about the future leaders of our sector!