BCRPA's DB Perks and Associates GRADUATING STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP AWARD
The purpose of the scholarship awards is to recognize and support BC students who have excelled in recreation and parks post-secondary programs, and who have demonstrated strengths in academics, practicums, class participation, and team work.
BCRPA Scholarship Recipients are celebrated widely by BCRPA – during Symposium, on our website, through our social media platforms, and in member communications that reach over 4,000 of BC’s recreation and parks professionals – providing them with unprecedented exposure and a prestigious accomplishment and recognition to add to their professional profiles.
Award recipients have shown a commitment to leadership that will help advance recreation and parks being embraced as essential to the quality of life of every British Columbian (BCRPA’s vision).
The award is for final year students graduating from recreation and parks post-secondary institutions that are BCRPA Affiliate members.
Commercial Aquatic Supplies has sponsored this Student Scholarship Award Program since it began in 2001. We thank them for their generous support.
Scholarship recipients receive:
- $1,000 scholarship
- complimentary registration to attend BCRPA’s 2022 Symposium
- One-year complimentary BCRPA Membership upon graduation
- Nominating post-secondary institutions must be affiliate members of BCRPA.
- Institutions will nominate their top student in the program, based on the criteria. (Nominations packages must be submitted by the school's department representative - 1 nomination per department)
- Student nominees must be graduating from a recreation or parks degree or diploma program at a BC university or college, and be convocating in 2022.
- Nominees who have been chosen to receive the award must be BCRPA student members at the time the award is granted at the BCRPA Awards Ceremony.
All BC post-secondary educational institution with a current BCRPA Affiliate membership are eligible to nominate one (1) student per graduating year the recreation or parks related academic program they offer, and the student must be currently enrolled in the final year of the program. Students who have completed their studies in Fall of 2020 and convocating in 2021, are also eligible for nomination.
Nominating institutions will promote the award opportunity to eligible students, conduct an internal selection process based upon the selection criteria, and submit no more than one (1) nomination per program.
Nomination packages must be submitted to BCRPA by the department representative. View "Submission Requirements" below for details.
Student nominations will be evaluated on the following broad criteria. The nominated student:
- Exhibits excellence in a recreation or parks program of study as demonstrated in academics, practicum performance and evaluation feedback, class participation, team work, and other criteria deemed important to the program;
- Demonstrates commitment and leadership (academic and in the community) to the recreation and parks field;
- Is actively engaged in recreation (as volunteer and participant- include any past or current aquatics experience: ie: swim team, coaching, lifeguarding, etc.,) and shows promise of future impact on the sector;
- Is in the final year of the program;
- Is chosen by the program leadership as the graduating student who is most representative of the scholarship nomination criteria.
Completed nominations packages must include:
- Nominee’s resume (maximum 1-2 page), demonstrating capabilities as well as work experience and any current/past involvement in recreation (including aquatics), and or parks;
- Cover letter by the student that cites his/her successfully meeting each of the four nomination criteria;
- A well-crafted written work of up to 500 words (two pages) summarizing:
- How the knowledge, skills, and abilities learned in the program contribute to the student’s understanding of and leadership within the recreation and parks field; and
- How the student models these qualities. The essay should highlight critical thinking and understanding of the field, and convey what excites the student about the field.
- One (1) letter of reference from an instructor or program leader supporting the nomination which references their and the institution’s observations on how the student meets the nomination criteria.
- Photos of the nominee, including a current digital headshot photo, as well as 3 to 5 additional photos that showcases how recreation and parks has been a part of their life, from any age.
- In the event that the Nominee receives a student scholarship, these photos will be used in recognition material, including the BCRPA Award Ceremony presentation, website, social media, and other digital print material.
Please email all documents to Connie Mah, Administrator, with the subject line: 2022 Nomination for BCRPA Student Scholarship
- December 14, 2021 to March 1, 2022 – Call for nominations
- 4:30 pm, March 1, 2022 – Submission deadline
- April 6, 2022 – Selection of successful candidates
- April 27, 2022 - Virtual, and May 4-5, 2022 in-person in Whistler – BCRPA's Annual Symposium including AGM and Awards presentation. Date of award presentation to be determined.
Nominations received will be evaluated and ranked by a BCRPA committee based upon the selection criteria. BCRPA will inform the nominating institution and the successful student awardee of the selection outcomes. Decisions are at the discretion of BCRPA.
Up to three (3) DB Perks and Associates Graduating Student Scholarships Awards are available for 2022.
Current Scholarship Recipients
Congratulations to the 2022 Student Scholarship Recipients!
University of Victoria, Recreation and Health Education
Ashton is a decorated academic and athlete who was recently awarded the University of Victoria President’s Scholarship, Varsity Honour Role, and Academic All Canadian Scholarship, as well as winning three consecutive National Championships with the UVIC Vikes Women’s Field Hockey Team.
Ashton is passionate about coaching as a way to give back to her community and currently coaches the Spring League for Cowichan Field Hockey, Cowichan Indoor league, Field Hockey BC Technical Development Program, and junior girls’ basketball at Cowichan Secondary School. She is also an active umpire with Cowichan Field Hockey as well as Vancouver Island Ladies Field Hockey Association.
Ashton will be a graduate of the University of Victoria with a Bachelor of Arts in Recreation and Health Education in the Spring of 2022, after which she plans to start a career working as a Recreation Aide at Sunridge Place Long Term Care and Assisted Living, where she completed two Co-op work terms.
Lanagara College, Bachelor of Recreation Management
Julia is a lifelong learner passionate about advocating for leadership development, barrier free recreation services, and drowning prevention initiatives. She is a BCRPA Registered Fitness Leader (Aquatics Specialty), is HIGH FIVE® certified, and has completed the Pool Operators Level 1 course.
Julia also has with a vast amount of experience working in professional recreation settings. She is the co-chair of the Lifesaving Society’s Program Advisory Group, a Master Instructor Trainer with the Canadian Red Cross, a National Trainer with the Lifesaving Society, and currently the Aquatics Supervisor for the City of Richmond.
Julia will be completing her Bachelors degree in Recreation Management from Langara in Spring 2022.
Vancouver Island University, Bachelor of Tourism Management (Recreation Major)
Keenan has spent 9 years working and volunteering in the field of recreation, including as a Senior Leader and Youth Recreation Advisor within the Regional District of Nanaimo’s recreation department. He believes community recreation is key to the healthy development and preservation of people, environment, happiness, culture, and most of all community.
Keenan brings his years of experience into the classroom and is known widely as a leader and a mentor. His academic achievements include making the Dean’s list at VIU and receiving the Recreation & Tourism Award for Excellence in 2019.
Keenan will be graduating the Bachelor of Tourism Management (Recreation Major) at VIU in Spring 2022.
Past Scholarship Recipients
View a complete list of current and past Student Scholarship winners, who are the future leaders of our sector!