How Can I earn CECs?
There are a number of ways to earn CECs for your renewal
1) Pre-approved Workshops and Courses
- Pre-approved Workshops: BCRPA provides a current listing of approved workshops. These workshops are offered in a variety of topic areas and are conducted in classroom settings, online and/or through correspondence.
- How do I verify my CECs for this option? Detailed steps on how to update your CEC log can be found on this page.
- Pre-approved Specialty Module Courses: If you are already a Fitness Leader and you complete an additional specialty module course, you can put that educational time towards your CEC criteria for your upcoming renewal. Please note that adding another module will not increase your CEC requirements at future renewal periods.
- How do I verify my CECs for this option? The conductor of your BCRPA-approved course is required to submit your results online through The Registry® on your behalf. You can verify that this has occurred by logging in to your account on The Registry® and checking your My Courses and Workshops tab - under “Workshops” to see if the course conductor has done so. You can also see a listing of courses that you have completed since the launch of The Registry®.
2) External Courses and Workshops (not pre-approved by BCRPA)
- External Workshops: If you have attended a conference or taken a course, workshop or some other kind of educational training that wasn’t pre-approved by the BCRPA for CECs, you may still be able to receive credits for it.
- Approvals will be given to professional development workshops/training only. The content must demonstrate that it meets BCRPA's continuing education standards. The content must also show that the workshop/training was targeted at improving the professional quality of a Fitness Leader.
- Post-Secondary Academic Courses: If you are currently taking an accredited college/university course and it’s related to your role as a Fitness Leader, you can receive CECs. 1 college/university credit = 10 BCRPA CECs.
Additional details can be found on the CEC page.
How do I submit my CECs?
Detailed steps on how to submit CECs can be found here.
I submitted my CECs but they are not showing up on my account!
There may be a few reasons why your account does not show the CECs you have submitted.
- You have been randomly audited and you have been asked to provide proof via email. If this is the case, you will see your petition listed as “Pending”
- Your CEC petition has been declined.
- We have not reviewed your CECs yet.
- The CECs you submitted we’re not earned within your current registration period.
To check the status of your CEC petition, log in to your account on The Registry®.
Once you have logged in to your account, go to the "CEC Log" accordion. You will be able to review the status of your CEC applications, including those that have been declined. An explanation is provided for declined CEC petitions. If applicable, please re-submit the CEC petition with the required corrections.
How many CECs do I require to renew?
As a requirement of renewal, Fitness Leaders are required to submit the following number of CECs every years.
- First-year registration (Fitness Students): Zero CECs are required in your first year of registration, as you will be required to complete a specialty course within this period.
- We are transitioning to a one-year renewal process. Changes to your CEC requirements will be in effect once you have renewed your registration.
- Fitness Leader (2-year registration): 12 credits required
- SFL/TFL (2-year registration period): 16 credits required
- Fitness Leader (1-year registration): 6 credits required
- SFL/TFL (1-year registration period): 8 credits required
Note: CECs cannot be carried over from one registration period to another.
For example: If your registration period is January 1, 2020 – January 2022, you can only submit workshops that you have completed within this registration period. Workshops completed prior to January 1, 2020, would not be accepted.