Continuing Education Credits (CECs) are an industry standard to ensure that you are up-to-date with current practices in the fitness field. Proof of credits earned within your 2-year registration period is necessary in order to renew your BCRPA Fitness Registration and continue to be publicly listed on The Registry® of Fitness Professionals.
- In-person and online workshops count toward professional development and are for CECs only – they do not qualify as a specialty module course
There are a number of continuing education options through which you can earn CECs:
- Pre-approved External Workshops
- Add another Speciality
- BCRPA E-Learning Website
- External Workshops (not pre-approved by BCRPA)
- Receiving Credits for Your Post-Secondary Education
- Attend BCFit® - BCRPA's Premier Fitness Conference
1. Pre-approved External Workshops:
Pre-approved workshops will provide you with a guaranteed number of CECs upon completion. In addition, these CECs will automatically be recognized within your personal account on The Registry® as soon as the workshop presenter electronically enters a passing grade for you.
Please be advised that all workshops are offered and/or facilitated by independent presenters/providers. While the BCRPA Fitness Program approves that the proposed content of the workshop is applicable to fitness leaders, the BCRPA Fitness Program is not affiliated with their operation and delivery and assumes no further responsibility or liability to registrants/participants taking these workshops. All inquiries, registrations and any other issues are to be referred directly to the workshop providers.
2. Add a Specialty
Having another specialty is an excellent way to progress your fitness career, grow your professional profile, and earn the Continuing Education Credits (CECs) required for renewing your BCRPA Fitness Registration.
To view the Specialty Module Course schedule click here.
For details on the steps required to obtain another specialty view our Add a Specialty page.
3. BCRPA E-Learning Website
CECs can be earned through the successful completion of an online course or workshop offered through BCRPA's E-Learning site.
To claim and verify your CECs earned through the E-Learning site, follow the instructions listed here.
Registered Fitness Leaders are eligible to receive a discount on BCRPA's E-Learning courses. Coupon codes are available in the Fitness E-bulletin sent to you by email.
4. External Courses and Workshops (not pre-approved by BCRPA)
If you have attended a conference or taken a course, workshop or some other kind of educational training that wasn’t pre-approved by BCRPA for CECs, you may still be able to receive credits for it.
Approvals will be given to professional development workshops/training only. The content must demonstrate that it meets BCRPA's continuing education standards. The content must also show that the workshop/training was targeted at improving the professional quality of a fitness leader.
Click here for details on how to submit a CEC petition for external workshops.
5. Receiving Credits for Your Post-Secondary Education
Post-secondary (University/College) classes are evaluated on a case-by-case basis, but in general 1 post-secondary Credit = 10 BCRPA CECs.
To submit an application for credits:
- Log in to your account on The Registry® of Fitness Professionals.
- Go to the "CEC Log" accordion and click on "Submit CEC Petition". Be sure to leave the "Workshop Pre-Approved?" check box blank.
Please note that you will need to modify your answers for university/college courses. For example, you can input the following fields as such:
- Title: Name of Course
- From Date: Completion Date
- Hours: The amount of credit hours
- Presenter Name: Professor Name
- Location of Workshop: City or Online
- Workshop Contact E-mail: General contact email for institution
- Workshop Contact Phone: General contact number for institution
Note: If you are selected for a random audit you will need to submit the following documents:
- Detailed Workshop Description: Upload course syllabus (usually provided by instructor at the beginning of the course or as part of course materials)
- Attendance or Completion Certificate: Upload transcript (unofficial transcript is accepted)