Before and After School Recreation Program Grants
2018/19 School Year - Applications are now closed
BCRPA has been pleased to offer subsidies to help offset costs for before and after school recreation programming for the 2018/2019 school year. Subsidies totaling $490,000 are being allocated to communities throughout British Columbia to provide new and/or expanded spaces for before and after school recreation programs, as well as to build local capacity and program legacy (i.e. equipment for continued use). Grants of up to $1,500 per program per cycle were available to organizations wishing to expand existing spaces or initiate new before or after school recreation programs for children in the community.
The subsidies support before and after school recreation programs that focus on physical activity, connecting to nature, outdoor play, and engaging in culture, sports and the arts.
In addition to program funding, this initiative also provides training for organization leaders and additional support from BCRPA to help communities build capacity and sustainability for their programs.
Note: The funding is for before and after school programming only and does not include lunch hour or non-instructional day programming.
In order to qualify for a subsidy, applications must meet the following criteria:
- The before and after school program is new, or expands on an existing program by providing additional spaces.
- Spaces are defined as:
- for a new program, the capacity of the program
- for expanding an existing program through new spaces added
- for expanding an existing program through adding additional days
- Refer here for complete information
- The before and/or after school programming takes place during the 2018/19 school calendar year (September 2018 to June 2019).
- The program cycle must be a minimum of 8 weeks in length.
- The program must run between 1 and 5 days per week.
- The program must be for children in grades K-8.
- The program must be publicly accessible (e.g. no membership requirements).
- The funding must be used as a subsidy only, it cannot fully fund the program.
- Program leaders:
- with direct contact with children must have successfully completed a criminal record check
- participate in a majority of training webinars that will be held throughout the school year
- Programs must include some of the following recreational activities: connecting to nature, outdoor play, physical activity, culture, sports, or the arts.
- The approved program must participate in an evaluation of the program and submit a final report that includes statistics on number of participants, an outline of recreational activities children participated in, a budget indicating how funds were used to help subsidize participant fees and other details to be finalized.
- The approved program shall provide proof of a current Commercial General Liability in an amount not less than $2,000,000 – a copy of the insurance certificate will be required from successful applicants.
- Meet the BC Childcare Licensing Regulation requirements where applicable.
Priority may be given to programs:
- that did not receive funding from the BCRPA Before and After School Recreation Program in the 2017/18 school year.
- that indicate in the application that funds will be used to help subsidize the registration fees for families.
- in communities where no before or after school recreation programming exists.
- whose staff are HIGH FIVE certified or willing to take the HIGH FIVE training (BCRPA will be providing the training for those requiring it).
In order to ensure a fair distribution of funding between organizations and regions, organizations requesting funding for multiple programs may be limited to the number accepted.
Applicants will be notified within three weeks following the application deadline.
Recreation Program Initiative application deadline
Cycle 1: 11:59 pm (PST) May 22, 2018
Cycle 2: 11:59 pm (PST) October 2, 2018
Cycle 3: 11:59 pm (PST) February 5, 2019
Subsidy recipient notification
Cycle 1: June 12, 2018
Cycle 2: October 23, 2018
Cycle 3: February 26, 2019
|September 2018 - June 2019
Final report submission deadline
Cycle 1: December 31, 2018
Cycle 2: April 12, 2019
Cycle 3: July 12, 2019
- 80% of funding will be provided within 4 weeks of confirmation of funding
- 20% of funding will be provided when successful completion of criteria are completed (final report and confirmation that number of spaces requested were met)