Before and After School Recreation Programs
September 2017 through June 2018
BCRPA is pleased to offer subsidies to help offset costs for before and after school recreation programming for the coming 2017/2018 school year. Subsidies totaling $655,000 will be allocated to communities throughout British Columbia to provide new and/or expanded spaces for before and after school recreation programs, as well as to build local capacity and program legacy (i.e. equipment for continued use). Grants of up to $1500 per program per cycle are available to organizations wishing to expand existing spaces or initiate new before or after school recreation programs for children in the community.
The subsidies will support before and after school recreation programs that focus on physical activity, connecting to nature, outdoor play, and engaging in culture, sports and the arts.
In addition to program funding, this initiative will also provide training for organization leaders and additional support from BCRPA to help communities build capacity and sustainability for their programs. Online resources will also be developed to provide families with ideas and opportunities to stay active together.
Applications are accepted until January 30, 2018 for programs beginning in April, 2018.
Select from the menu items below to learn more.
In order to qualify for a subsidy, applications must meet the following criteria
- The program is new, or expands on an existing program by providing additional spaces
- Spaces are defined as:
- for a new program, the capacity of the program;
- for expanding an existing program through new spaces added
- for expanding an existing program through adding additional days
- refer here for complete information on how spaces are defined
o Where existing program spaces are extended in duration (e.g. a program that used to be 2 hours in duration is extended to 3 hours) those spaces will be reported separately as enhanced spaces.)
- The before and/or after school programming takes place during the 2017/18 school calendar year
- The program cycle must be a minimum of 8 weeks in length
- The program must run between 1 and 5 days per week.
- The program must be for children in grades K-8
- The program must be publicly accessible (e.g. no membership requirements)
- The funding must be used as a subsidy only, it cannot fully fund the program
- Program leaders:
- with direct contact with children must have successfully completed a criminal record check
o must be HIGH FIVE® certified (training may be provided if needed)
o participate in a majority of training webinars that will be held throughout the school year
o for new programs, leaders must attend a two day training program which includes HIGH FIVE®
- Programs must include some of the following recreational activities: connecting to nature, outdoor play, physical activity, culture, sports, or the arts
- The approved program must participate in an evaluation of the program and submit a final report that includes statistics on number of participants, an outline of recreational activities children participated in, a budget indicating how funds were used to help subsidize participant fees and other details to be finalized
- The approved program shall provide proof of a current Commercial General Liability in an amount not less than $2,000,000 - a copy of the insurance certificate will be required from successful applicants
Priority may be given to programs:
- that provide education for parents to help them sustain the benefits their children will be gaining through the activities;
- that provide an opportunity for families to stay engaged with being active
- communities where no before or after school recreation programming exists
Complete the Before and After School Recreation Program application form before the deadline.
Applicants will be notified within three weeks following the application deadline.
Please note, we are currently accepting applications for Cycle 3.
Recreation Program Initiative application deadline
Cycle 1: Applications Closed
Cycle 2: Applications Closed
Cycle 3: 11:59 pm (PST) January 30, 2018
Subsidy recipient notification
Cycle 1: June 2, 2017
Cycle 2: October 17, 2017
Cycle 3: February 20, 2018
HIGH FIVE® training and community development workshop
|to be determined
|September 2017 - June 2018
Final report submission deadline
|July 17, 2018
- 80% of funding will be provided within 4 weeks of confirmation of funding
- 20% of funding will be provided when successful completion of criteria are completed (final report and confirmation that number of spaces requested were met)