Before and After School Recreation Program Grants
2019/20 School Year - Applications are now open for April-June 2020 programming
Application deadline: February 4, 2020
BCRPA is excited to be offering subsidies to help offset costs for before and after school recreation programming again for the 2019/2020 school year.
Thanks to funding from the Provincial Government, subsidies totaling $490,000 are being allocated to communities throughout British Columbia to provide new and/or expanded spaces for before and after school recreation programs, as well as to build local capacity and program legacy (i.e. equipment for continued use). Grants of up to $1,500 per program per cycle are available to organizations wishing to expand existing spaces or initiate new before or after school recreation programs for children in the community.
The subsidies support before and after school recreation programs that focus on physical activity, connecting to nature, outdoor play, and engaging in culture, sports and the arts.
In addition to program funding, this initiative also provides training for program leaders, supervisors and managers.
Note: The funding is for before and after school programming only and does not include lunch hour or non-instructional day programming.
In order to qualify for a subsidy, applications must meet the following criteria:
- The before and after school program is new, or expands on an existing program by providing additional spaces. [Note: if your program received BCRPA funding in previous years you may still apply for the grant.]
- The before and/or after school programming takes place during the 2019/20 school calendar year (September 2019 to June 2020).
- The program cycle must be a minimum of 8 weeks in length.
- The program must run between 1 and 5 days per week.
- The program must be for children in the age range of grades K-8.
- The program must be publicly accessible (e.g. no membership requirements).
- The funding must be used as a subsidy only, it cannot fully fund the program.
- Program leaders:
- with direct contact with children must have successfully completed a criminal record check
- must participate in a majority of training webinars that will be held throughout the school year
- Programs must include some of the following recreational activities: connecting to nature, outdoor play, physical activity, culture, sports, or the arts.
- The approved program must participate in an evaluation of the program and submit a final report that includes statistics on number of participants, an outline of recreational activities children participated in, a budget indicating how funds were used to help subsidize participant fees, and other details to be finalized.
- The approved program shall provide proof of a current Commercial General Liability in an amount not less than $2,000,000 – a copy of the insurance certificate will be required from successful applicants.
- Must meet the BC Childcare Licensing Regulation requirements where applicable.
Priority may be given to programs:
- that did not receive funding from the BCRPA Before and After School Recreation Program in the 2017/18 or 2018/19 school years.
- that indicate in the application that funds will be used to help subsidize the registration fees for families.
- in communities where no before or after school recreation programming exists.
- whose staff are HIGH FIVE® certified or willing to take the HIGH FIVE® training (BCRPA will be providing the training for those requiring it).
In order to ensure a fair distribution of funding between organizations and regions, organizations requesting funding for multiple programs may be limited to the number accepted.
Applicants will be notified within three weeks following the application deadline.
Recreation Program Initiative application deadline
Cycle 1: 11:59 pm (PST) Aug 7, 2019
Cycle 2: 11:59 pm (PST) October 8, 2019
Cycle 3: 11:59 pm (PST) February 4, 2020
Subsidy recipient notification
Cycle 1: August 16 , 2019
Cycle 2: October 29, 2019
Cycle 3: February 25, 2019
|September 2019 - June 2020
Final report submission deadline
Cycle 1: December 31, 2019
Cycle 2: April 10, 2020
Cycle 3: July 10, 2020
- 80% of funding will be provided within 4 weeks of confirmation of funding
- 20% of funding will be provided when successful completion of criteria are completed (final report and confirmation that number of spaces requested were met)
- Deadline to apply is February 4, 2020