The BCRPA Fitness Registration Program
Since its inception in 1984, the role of the BCRPA Fitness Registration Program has been to identify and promote the highest professional standards for fitness leaders in BC. The BCRPA has gained recognition as 'the' standard against which the qualifications of a fitness leader may be measured and is widely regarded as the regulatory body for fitness professionals throughout the Province of British Columbia.
To learn more about becoming a registered fitness professional, start here.
The BCRPA Fitness Registration Program is managed and supported by BCRPA staff. In addition, volunteers representing various regions of the province are drawn from the fitness industry to provide guidance to the program through their involvement with the Fitness Advisory Council (FAC).
The National Fitness Leadership Alliance (NFLA) is a Canadian partnership of not-for-profit organizations dedicated to developing, promoting and implementing national standards for the training and registration of fitness leaders in Canada. It represents over 10,000 fitness professionals living and working in eight provinces and two territories across Canada. More information here.
Your BCRPA registration is recognized nationally through the NFLA and is transferable across the country to all NFLA partners.
NFLA Canada's Positioning Statement
NFLA’s main focus is on the development and stewardship of national standards for fitness leader registration across Canada, and acting as an advocate for fitness leadership at the National level. Our involvement with ICREPs will further these goals, providing international recognition for our Canadian fitness professionals, and allowing for the sharing of best practices internationally.
The ICREPs (International Confederation of Registers for Exercise Professionals) is an international partnership between registration bodies around the word that register exercise professionals. ICREPs' three main functions include:
1. Facilitating international portability/recognition for exercise professionals worldwide
2. Providing information and support to countries and regions that wish to develop registration systems for exercise professionals
3. Facilitating sharing of best practice systems between ICREPs members
As a BCRPA-registered Fitness Leader, your registration allows you international portability across registration with ICREPs partners. For further information, please contact the BCRPA office.
The Registry® of Fitness Professionals showcases fitness professionals who have met provincial and national standards. The BCRPA fitness professionals publicly listed in The Registry® are all BCRPA registered and have current CPR, First Aid and specialty training in specific areas of fitness.
The Registry® of Fitness Professionals is also the place where BCRPA fitness leader candidates begin their registration process and where currently registered BCRPA fitness leaders update and maintain their registrations with the Association.
The Registry® of Fitness Professionals has been created to assist members of the public as well as fitness and recreation facility managers and owners in making staffing decisions by applying a common standard to all listed fitness professionals.
The standards are developed by the National Fitness Leadership Alliance (NFLA) and applied by provincial NFLA member organizations. Members of the NFLA are committed to the promotion of a single standard for all fitness professionals.
For more information, please contact The Registry® of Fitness Professionals directly at info(at)thefitnessregistry.com.
We are pleased to announce the following appointees to the Fitness Advisory Committee:
- Debra Wilson (Chair), Rehabilitation and Fitness Coordinator, Strathcona Regional District
- Barbara Anderson, Recreation Programmer, Health & Fitness
- Kim Bond, Senior Education Administrator, Hilltop Academy
- Lela Dawson, BCRPA Trainer of Fitness Leaders (TFL)
- Ingrid Knight-Cohee, Director, Group Fitness, Steve Nash Sports Club
- Carol Lepine, Fitness and Wellness Services Coordinator, City of Richmond
- Dr. Bill Luke, Associate Professor of Human Kinetics, Trinity Western University
Objectives of the Advisory Committee are:
- provide recommendations, professional advice, information and support to the BCRPA on matters relating to the development, promotion and advocacy efforts of the BCRPA Fitness Registration Program and the National Fitness Leadership Alliance (NFLA) national standard in BC
- ensure the continued expansion, improvement and relevance of the program to the fitness industry and its consumers
Roles of the Advisory Committee Members are:
- review background documentation
- assist in setting directions and priorities for the program
- participate in 3-5 meetings (in person or via teleconference) per year
Members of the Advisory Committee are selected from the following categories, with as much province-wide representation as possible:
- Fitness Leader (FLs, SFLs, TFLs)
- Post-secondary Fitness educator /representative
- Fitness Programmer /Coordinator
- Fitness facility operator
- Special appointment