Please read the impact notices below.
We will keep this page updated as the situation changes.
Update May 28, 2020
BC Recreation and Parks Association (BCRPA) is helping bring recreation back! As we enter into Phase 2 of the Province of BC’s Restart Plan, we have released our Recreation and Parks Sector Guideline for Restarting Operations (The Guideline) to help local and regional governments restart their recreation services and amenities, and operate them safely.
Produced at the request of the Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture and the Provincial Health Office, The Guideline is a planning tool to help BC’s public recreation and parks sector to carefully re-open and offer services and programs safely during this COVID-19 pandemic.
The Guideline addresses the health and safety requirements across the entire field of Recreation and Parks, applying to both private and public facilities and service providers, and all facility types, sizes, and locations. Page 29 of the Guideline also includes WorkSafeBC's specific guidelines for gyms and fitness centres.
Click here to read the Recreation and Parks Sector Guideline for Restarting Operations.
Update: May 05, 2020
Below is a summary of the information you need to know regarding BCRPA Registered Fitness Leader's insurance with HUB International.
If you have further insurance-related questions, please contact HUB directly by email or by calling 604-269-1919.
- The current BCRPA group policy provides coverage to any Fitness Leader that conducts online training as long as it is within 10% of their annual gross revenue. As an accommodation, until September 30, 2020, HUB has agreed to lift the restriction and extend coverage for Fitness Leader whose online training exceeds 10% of their gross revenues.
- If Fitness Leaders will be conducting online classes that exceed 10% of their gross revenues, they will need to contact HUB directly by email or by calling: 604-269-1919 to have an endorsement issued. This additional premium costs $10 for unlimited online training and is payable to HUB directly.
- All training must utilize two-way communication channels only, such as Zoom or Skype, ensuring you can both see AND communicate with participants. Publicly accessible broadcast tools such as Instagram Live, Facebook Live, YouTube, etc., and pre-recorded videos are not acceptable methods of delivering online training. This is because these platforms do not allow for Fitness Leaders to determine if participants are in distress, or performing exercises in a way that could lead to injury.
- Fitness Leaders seeking insurance information/coverage on one-way online communication platforms should contact HUB Insurance directly.
- A verbal PAR-Q is permitted at this time, meaning you can ask the required questions directly to participants via the two-way communication channel you are using.
For any further inquiries, please contact HUB directly by email or by calling 604-269-1919.
Update: April 22, 2020
HUB Insurance Webinar
This webinar hosted by HUB Insurance International and BCRPA, occurred on Wednesday, April 29, 2020. The webinar aims to provide BCRPA Registered Fitness Leaders with further information about changes to insurance coverage, and address questions about offering insurable online classes.
A recording of the webinar has been emailed to all BCRPA Registered Fitness Leaders on May 5, 2020. Please check your Inbox.
Update: April 16, 2020
We are happy to announce that our insurer, HUB International Insurance, has updated their requirements for providing insurance coverage to any BCRPA Registered Fitness Leader that conducts online training and classes:
- Online training can now be 100% of a Fitness Leader's gross income
- This accommodation will be in place from now until September 30, 2020.
This extended coverage will be initiated once Fitness Leaders advise HUB insurance in writing before initiating online classes.
Have questions? A special interactive webinar with HUB Insurance International has been organized, happening Friday, April 24, 10 am to 11 am.
Registration information has been emailed to BCRPA Registered Fitness Leaders. Please check your email for details.
Update: April 8, 2020
Below are two additional changes to support you, our Fitness Leaders, through the continuing challenges posed by COVID-19.
Registered Fitness Leader Expiry Date Extension:
All BCRPA Fitness Leader registrations that expire between March 1, 2020 and August 1, 2020 have now been extended by 90 days beyond the expiry date. For example: if your registration had an expiry date of March 1, 2020, it is now be valid until May 1, 2020.
Insurance Coverage – Delivering Online Training:
We have been working tirelessly with your insurer, HUB International, to develop reasonable parameters for BCRPA Registered Fitness Leaders to deliver online training during this pandemic. We thank you for your patience.
The following has been provided directly from HUB International:
"The current insurance policy provides coverage to any Fitness Leader that conducts online training as long as it is within 10% of their annual gross revenue. As an accommodation, until September 30, 2020, insurers have agreed to lift the restriction and extend coverage for Fitness Leader whose online training exceeds 10% of their gross revenues.
The extended coverage is subject to a fee of $10 and the following restrictions:
- Participants may be new or existing participants.
- Participants must login to the permitted delivery tool, and register to participate in a class.
- Participants must have completed the necessary Par-Q forms.
- Publicly accessible broadcast tools such Instagram Live, Facebook Live, YouTube, etc., and pre-recorded videos are not acceptable methods of delivering online training. This is because these platforms do not allow two way video and communication for fitness leaders to determine if participants are in distress, or performing exercises in a way that could lead to injury.
- Permitted delivery tools must include the use of controlled, multi-screen video conferencing programs with two-way video and communication, such as Skype or Zoom.
- All injuries must be documented.
- Instruction to professional athletes and carded amateur athletes is strictly prohibited.
- Coverage does not extend to work-related rehabilitation of any condition.
Instructors must advise HUB International Insurance Brokers in writing before initiating online classes that exceed 10% of their gross revenues, and include the following information:
1. Number of online classes per week
2. Instructor’s remote location, bearing in mind facilities are closed
3. Class content (activities to be conducted)
4. Number of participants per class (ensure all participants are currently registered before the start of the session)
5. Class is limited to the number of participants that can be viewed on a single screen, with no more than four (4) participants in one location while following Provincial Physical Distancing Guidelines
6. Participants must have completed the necessary Par-Q forms.
If Fitness Leaders will be conducting online classes that exceed 10% of their gross revenues, they will need to contact us directly at TOS.Team-FitnessLeaders@hubinternational.com or 604-269-1919 to have an endorsement issued.
The additional premium charged will be $10.00 to offer unlimited online training until September 30, 2020."
Interactive Webinar with HUB Insurance
BCRPA is planning an interactive webinar with HUB Insurance to address any questions you may have. Once we have confirmed a time and date for this webinar, you will be emailed a notification and instructions on how you can join.
Update: March 31, 2020
In response to the current COVID-19 prevention measures currently in place, we have made changes to Fitness Student registration expirations AND Fitness Leader First Aid and CPR registration renewals.
Changes for Fitness Students
BCRPA recognizes the challenges COVID-19 poses to Fitness Students who are in their first year of BCRPA registration, and are currently unable to take a course or complete the Instructor Competency Evaluation required to obtain a specialty.
To support you during this period, BCRPA has made the following two changes:
- If your BCRPA registration expiration is between February 1, 2020, and August 1, 2020 we will extend your registration period by 90 days. For example: if your registration expired on February 1, 2020, it will now be valid until April 30, 2020.
- All First Aid and CPR certifications with expiration between February 1, 2020, and August 1, 2020, will be extended for 90 days beyond their expiry date. For example: if your First Aid and/or CPR certification had an expiry date of February 1, 2020, it will now be valid until April 30, 2020.
First Aid and CPR Certifications for Registered Fitness Leaders
To make the renewal process easier for you during this period, we have made the following change:
- All First Aid and CPR certifications which expire between February 1, 2020, and August 1, 2020 will be extended for 90 days beyond their expiry date. For example: this means if your First Aid and/or CPR certification had an expiry date of February 1, 2020, it will now be valid until April 30, 2020.
The requirement to obtain 12 CECs (or 16 if you are a TFL or SFL) during your registration period remains the same. There is a wide availability of online workshops that can be taken to satisfy this criteria. You can find a list of BCRPA-approved online workshops on this page under Workshops (Continuing Education).
If you have already started or are interested in offering online training/instructions to your clients, it’s important to know how this affects your insurance. Below is clarification from HUB International, our insurer, and the National Fitness Leadership Association, of which BCRPA is a member:
- With respect to providing services online, Fitness Leaders may choose to provide online instruction but insurers cap online instruction to 10% of the individual's operations. This means the gross revenue received from online operations cannot exceed 10% of the individual's total gross revenue for the policy term. However, due to the COVID-19 outbreak, insurers are allowing online instruction for up to 25% of operations but only for a period of 6 months.
- The onus is on Fitness Leaders to notify HUB Insurance if their online operations exceed 10%. These requests will then be referred to insurers by HUB International, and upon review, the insurer will quote and charge an additional premium. Only at that time will an endorsement will be issued. Any of these requests should be emailed to HUB Insurance directly.
- Please continue to use the PAR-Q form. Note there is an online version available. This form can be completed online, and the final page printed out and signed.
- If you are using music in your online offerings, please ensure you continue to observe copyright and license rules.
Please be assured that although our office is currently closed, BCRPA remains open for business from our virtual home offices.
We will continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation and may make further changes, if the situation requires, in order to better support you. Please watch for any future emails from us to make sure you stay in the loop!
Update: March 17, 2020
BCRPA's office has temporarily closed as of Thursday March 19, 2020 until further notice, with Staff working remotely. Please continue to contact us through all the normal channels.
Please provide your email address when leaving a voice message for BCRPA Staff, as phone calls will likely be returned via email. We will continue to post any and all updates regarding BCRPA business here.